At Vance Thompson Vision we would like to provide you with the facts about LASIK eye surgery in order to help you make a better educated decision regarding LASIK and the potential risks and benefits. You can rest assured that the doctors will not perform LASIK on an individual who is not a candidate for LASIK eye surgery.
Click here for a list of FDA approved lasers
The Facts: Regarding LASIK Eye Surgery
- LASIK is eye surgery to a very sensitive and delicate part of the eye known as the cornea
- Thousands of people have had LASIK, most very successfully.
- As with any type of surgery, there are risks and possible LASIK related complications.
- LASIK may not give you completely perfect vision. It is important to have appropriate expectations so make sure to discuss these directly with a doctor. Just because a friend has perfect vision from LASIK does not mean that you will have that same perfect vision. If you have LASIK to correct your distance vision, you'll still need reading glasses around age 40 and above because you will naturally start to develop an inability to read.
- LASIK surgery cannot be reversed. You may consider some of the reversible refractive surgery techniques if this is important to you but please make sure to consult an ophthalmologist directly regarding these options.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) reports that seven out of 10 patients achieve 20/20 vision, but 20/20 does not always mean perfect vision.
Selecting a LASIK surgeon
Asking the right questions is so important when selecting a quality LASIK surgeon. We have included this list of questions on our website to better educate LASIK candidates as to what they should look for when selecting a LASIK surgeon.
- How many LASIK eye surgery procedures have you performed?
- Do you prefer performing PRK or LASIK and why?
- How long have you been doing LASIK Eye Surgery?
- What's your success rate with LASIK?
- What type of excimer laser does your surgeon use for LASIK eye surgery? Please make sure your surgeon is using a laser approved by the (FDA). See a list of approved lasers on the FDA LASIK website. The link is provided above.
- Do you offer options other than LASIK Eye Surgery for people with extreme corrections.
Your Source For LASIK in South Dakota and throughout the Midwest. Please feel free to contact us directly for a FREE LASIK eye surgery consultation. Dr. Vance Thompson and Dr. Alison Tendler are among the TOP LASIK specialists in the United States and are a premier refractive surgery solution for people in South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota. Dr. Vance Thompson has helped thousands of patients from all over the United States and throughout the world. If you are interested in traveling from a distance please feel free to contact us directly for a more thorough discussion.
The LASIK procedure is the right answer for most patients who are considering refractive surgery to improve their vision. However, in patients with higher degrees of nearsightedness or farsightedness, the cornea may be too thin to allow full refractive correction.
In these cases, surgical implants may be the best alternative. These special devices are placed in the eyes to improve their focusing ability.