Vance Thompson Vision OD Residency in Refractive & Ocular Surgery Care
This residency’s mission is to provide the post-doctoral optometrist advanced training and competency in ocular disease as well as refractive and ocular surgery peri-operative care with an emphasis on direct patient care, research, and educational opportunities.
- Program Site: Vance Thompson Vision, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Fargo, North Dakota
- Sioux Falls Program Coordinator Doug Wallin, OD
- Fargo Program Coordinator Brooke Messer, OD
- Sioux Falls Residency Director: Janice Jurkus, OD, MBA
- Fargo Residency Director: Anna Kathryn Bedwell, OD, FAAO
- Number of Positions (Sioux Falls): 2
- Number of Positions (Fargo): 1
- Program Dates: 12 Months, 40-50 weekly hours including after hours call.
- Sioux Falls ORMatch#: 37627
- Fargo ORMatch #: 42278
About Vance Thompson Vision
Vance Thompson Vision, founded by Dr. Vance Thompson, MD, in 1991 is a private anterior segment surgical and referral center located in Sioux Falls, SD, with additional locations in Fargo, ND, Bozeman, MT, Omaha, NE, Alexandria, MN, Billings, MT, and Sioux City, NE. We have grown significantly in the last 25 years and consist of eight fellowship-trained ophthalmologists who specialize in cornea, cataract, glaucoma and oculoplastics and thirteen residency-trained optometrists who specialize in the pre and post-op care of cornea, cataract, glaucoma, oculoplastics , dry eye, and specialty contact lens fitting. Vance Thompson Vision has always been actively involved in clinical and surgical anterior segment research having participated in over 90 FDA monitored clinical trials. Vance Thompson Vision also places great emphasis on our team culture and patient experience with our motto being “The Best on Earth”. Vance Thompson Vision was recognized by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of the top one hundred company cultures in the US in 2017.
The Sioux Falls and Fargo residency program will consist of 4.5 days rotating through each of our three clinic galleys; each with its own subspecialty, cornea, glaucoma and oculoplastics (Sioux Falls) and specialty contact lenses (Fargo). The remaining 0.5 day will be spent on research and educational projects. One half day per quarter will be spent observing surgery with each or our surgeons and ophthalmology fellow. The resident will be available for urgent care patients during normal clinic hours, and will be on after hours call one week per month during the rotation.
What the resident can expect from this program:
- Advanced clinical training in the pre and post-op care of anterior segment surgery including; advanced cataract and refractive cataract surgery, including extensive management of toric, multifocal, and extended depth of focus IOLs refractive surgery to correct ametropia, including, PRK, LASIK, SMILE, incisional and phakic IOL surgery
- Advanced corneal disease diagnosis and treatment including, corneal transplantation, DMEK, Intacs, PTK, amniotic membrane, and specialty contact lens fitting
- Advanced glaucoma treatment, diagnosis, and surgery including; minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries (MIGS), SLT, trabeculectomies, and shunts as well as cytophotocoagulation
- Sioux Falls - Advanced training in oculoplastics and aesthetics; including, blepharoplasties, dermal laser treatments, injections, and facial aesthetics treatments
- Fargo - Advanced training in specialty contact lenses
- Advanced clinical evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of dry eye including; Lipiflow, BBL and autologous serum.
- This resident program will be a very challenging and rewarding year clinically, but will also emphasize an enhanced patient experience and a team culture that will allow the resident to become a valued member of our work family.
- The Resident will attend 2 Educational Conferences - including one national conference
- Complete one publishable paper or poster to be presented
- Present on Optometric Educational Lecture at our annual VTV Symposium
- Coordinate and present 3 Journal Club meetings at VTV
Compensation package includes salary and benefits.
Health coverage, professional liability insurance, vacation, paid sick leave, travel allowance.
Criteria for Completion
Reviewed by Residency Program Directors
Completion of Acknowledgment
A certificate is presented on completion of the program from Vance Thompson Vision.
For more information
Doug Wallin, OD - Sioux Falls Director
3101 West 57th St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
Brooke Messer, OD - Fargo Director
505 32nd Ave E
West Fargo, ND 58078