Meet Dr. Assam
Dr. Jed Assam’s aptitude for learning, research, and leadership have taken him to impressive places, and he has found his way back to the place and people who shaped him.
A native of Sioux Falls, SD, Dr. Assam is now an experienced ophthalmologist who guides patients through the course of their retina illness.
Before becoming an ophthalmologist, Dr. Assam earned a master’s degree in Human Clinical Anatomy at Creighton University. From there, he completed his ophthalmology training at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, Texas where he was Chief Resident and intern of the year. Next, he completed a fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, where he trained under leading experts in the field.
When he isn’t studying retinal care or anatomy, Dr. Assam enjoys diversifying his exploration into the exciting realm of aerospace medicine. He has even assisted government agencies, such as the Federal Aviation Administration, in research. But Jed is also an outdoorsman who enjoys fishing and hunting and an avid cook who likes to host meals for friends and family as it’s one of the simplest ways to bring people together.
Interests & Added Expertise
Throughout his studies, Dr. Assam sought opportunities to provide eye care to underserved indigenous communities and has helped procure more than $80,000 in grants to support vital programs.
Dr. Assam is also a seasoned instructor for medical students who need lab and other hands-on experience.
- Bethel University, St. Paul, MN
- Creighton University, Omaha, NE
- USD Sanford School of Medicine, Vermillion, SD
- University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) Internship, Galveston, TX
- UTMB Residency, Galveston, TX
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
Awards & Honors
- 2021 UTMB Ophthalmology Leadership Award
- 2021 UTMB Ophthalmology Academic Achievement Award
- 2021 American Academy of Ophthalmology Artemis Award Nominee
- 2021 UTMB Outstanding Overall Resident Award Nominee
- 2018 Glenda Adams & Danny Adams TDCJ Intern of the Year Award
- 2018 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
- 2017 Chester B. McVay Award
- 2016 Gold Humanism Honor Society Inductee
Personal & Hobbies
When he isn’t providing retinal care, Jed enjoys exploring aerospace medicine. He has even assisted the Federal Aviation Administration in research. Jed is also an outdoorsman who enjoys fishing and hunting and is an avid cook who likes to host meals for friends and family.