Meet Dr. Baartman
After his fellowship, Dr. Baartman elected to stay on as an associate with Vance Thompson Vision and is currently the lead surgeon at our Omaha, NE practice. He has a passion for improving the quality of eye care in the community he serves through his commitments to education, research, technology, and improving the patient experience.
During his residency at the Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Baartman served as Chief Resident in Ophthalmology and was recognized for his service with an Excellence in Teaching award.
Interests & Added Expertise
Dr. Baartman has always valued vision, but he sees the true impact of sight-saving surgery most clearly during his regular international travels, which have taken him to Honduras, Ghana, and the northernmost region of the Indian Himalayas. During those trips, he has served men, women, and children with limited access to the life-changing surgeries that restore sight. He’s a past volunteer surgeon with Surgical Eye Expeditions International, and he currently volunteers with OneWorld Community Health.
- Century High School, Rochester, MN
- Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
- Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
- Cole Eye Institute Residency, Cleveland, OH
- Vance Thompson Vision Fellowship
Awards & Honors
- 2019 “One to Watch” in Ophthalmology, Millennial Eye
- 2019 Editorial Board, American Academy of Ophthalmology EyeWiki
- 2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2013 David Bryan Sloan III MD Award for Excellence in Ophthalmology
- 2012 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Inductee
- 2010 Global Impact Fellow, Unite for Sight
Personal & Hobbies
Brandon enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife, Nicole, and their children. He also enjoys reading, home improvement projects, and golfing.