Meet Dr. Berdahl
Dr. Berdahl is most motivated by the trust his patients place in him during their moments of vulnerability.
That patient trust has, first and foremost, driven him to become an accomplished surgeon. However, as he meets patient needs and learns more about the problems they face, he’s had several opportunities to stretch his skills as an inventor and problem-solver. He co-invented the MKO melt, an innovation used in our Sioux Falls clinic that provides sedation during cataract surgery without the use of an IV or opioids. He created astigmatismfix.com, a resource that has helped tens of thousands of surgeons eliminate residual astigmatism after cataract surgery, and he co-founded ExpertOpinion.MD, a site where patients can request medical opinions from authentic world experts. He also is the founder of Equinox, a company developing the first non-surgical, non-pharmacologic way to lower eye pressure for glaucoma treatment.
Interests & Added Expertise
Dr. Berdahl is exceptionally skilled at diagnosing the best treatment for varying stages of glaucoma, corneal diseases, and cataracts. He is also a meticulous refractive surgeon. Should surgery be recommended, Dr. Berdahl will employ the most innovative and tested techniques available to effectively treat most diseases of the anterior segment (front part of the eye).
- Hills-Beaver Creek High School, Hills, MN
- Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD
- Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN
- Mayo Clinic Internship, Scottsdale, AZ
- Duke University, Durham, NC
- Minnesota Eye Consultants Fellowship (Minneapolis, MN)
Awards & Honors
- 2020 Lans Distinguished Award, International Society of Refractive Surgery
- 2019 Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2019 Best of the Best, Lowering IOP with a Multi-pressure Dial, ASCRS
- 2019 Top 10 Emerging Leaders Worldwide, The Ophthalmologist
- 2018 Top 100 Most Influential People in Ophthalmology Worldwide, The Ophthalmologist
- 2018 Teacher of the Year, Transitional Year Residents, Sanford School of Medicine
- 2018 Speaker of the Day, Royal Hawaiian Eye Meeting
- 2017 #3 Ophthalmologist under 50 Worldwide, The Ophthalmologist
- 2016 Invitee to the US President’s Global Entrepreneurship Summit, Stanford University
- 2016 NASA/NSBRI Grant, Safety of Pressure Manipulation around Eye
- 2016 ASCRS Innovators Lecture
- 2015 Member of the Vision for Mars Team, NASA/NSBRI
- 2015 Best of Best Papers, ASCRS Sclerally Fixated Akreos Lens
- 2015 Top 40 Ophthalmologists Under 40, The Ophthalmologist
- 2015 Top 40 Business People Under 40, Dakota Business News
- 2013 #1 Young Outstanding Physician, South Dakota State Medical Association
- 2013 American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award
- 2011 Horizon Award (Most Accomplished Young Alumnus), Augustana College
- 2010 Vanguard Ophthalmology Society, Founding Member & President
- 2008 Claes Dohlman Award (Most Outstanding Cornea Fellow), Harvard University
- 2008 Robert Machemer Research Award, Duke University
- 2008 Resident Teacher of the Year, Duke University
- 2008 Edward Isbey III Resident of the Year Award, Duke University
- 2007 Ophthalmology Times Resident Writer’s Award First Place, Ophthalmology Times
Personal & Hobbies
John is devoted to his wife, Tamme, and their children. The Berdahl family’s interests range from outdoor activities such as water sports, hunting, scuba diving, astronomy, and athletics to playing the guitar, cooking, and community involvement. John is an avid reader..
Supporting underserved people is a passion for John. He does this through EyeCare America, mission trips, and the Mission Vision program at Vance Thompson Vision, through which he performs dozens of free surgeries every year.